Forest School at St Andrews Green Valley
This academic year Green Valley proudly introduced its' Forest School initiative. It’s launch has seen the inclusion of Forest School in the weekly timetable, and as a result the optimised use of Green Valley’s expansive space and the growing confidence of our students in the outdoors. We’re delighted to share the core purpose and ethos of the Forest School below, with many of these values already coming to fruition.
The Forest School is an inspirational process that offers ALL students regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in our woodland environment. Forest School is a specialised learning approach that sits within and complements the wider context of outdoor and woodland education.
In our Forest School all participants are viewed as:
- equal, unique and valuable
- competent to explore and discover
- entitled to experience appropriate risk and challenge
- entitled to choose, and to initiate and drive their own learning and development
- entitled to experience regular success
- entitled to develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
- entitled to develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world
This learner-centred approach interweaves with the ever-changing moods and marvels, potential and challenges of the natural world through the seasons to fill every Forest School session and programme with discovery and difference. Yet each programme does also share a common set of principles, aimed at ensuring that all learners experience the cumulative and lasting benefits that quality Forest School offers.